Thursday, March 06, 2008

Toys

BufBloPoFo Topic for Day 6: What kind of stuff (toys, books, TV shows) were you into when you were a kid? Do you think that had an effect on what kind of a person you are today??

I was into all things cool, just like the rest of you. I am from Marilla, New York (right around the corner from East Aurora, NY), therefore I played with a lot things Fisher Price.

Some favorites were the phone, the doll house and the farm house. My goodness they don’t make toys like that anymore. I have bought similar toys for my children and they are so stinkin’ cheap. No wood, just cheap plastic painted with lead that I must hide until they stop putting things into their mouth.

Cabbage Patch Dolls, Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake were big favorites of mine! I had a girl, Jolene Emiline, a boy, Fabian Jervis whose name I changed to Brenden Alex, a boy preemie, Miles Silvester, and a girl baby Lori Shirley.

I was so excited this Christmas when I saw Cabbage Patch kids on sale at Walmart. I had to by one for my daughter. She looks just like Raine too; big blue eyes and a little blond curl coming out of her snowsuit.

I am also the oldest of four children so I really enjoyed playing with my brothers Star Wars figures. I was Princess Lea, of course. My brother Matthew had the big Darth Vader head that would hold all of the action figures.

My little sister Jaime and I used to play with our Barbie’s all the time. We even had some of my mom and aunt’s really old ones from the 60’s. It was so fun dressing the dolls in the Brady Bunch dresses!

When my youngest brother Brian was a kid TMNT were in. No, not the scary ones from the movie made in 2007. THE ORIGINALS! Oh, TMNT stands for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for all you youngins. Now I have some hand me down vhs tapes for Reece with the same cartoons I used to watch with Fry Guy. I know my dad has all four original turtles in their boxes somewhere. Whenever he would buy my brother one he would buy himself one, stick it in the closet and say, “These will be worth something someday!” WHERE ARE THEY NOW? I ask. How much would they be worth, EBAY, or a cool toy store?

Needless to say, I think the toys I played with did shape who I am today because those are some of the best moments of my childhood. I am so glad I can go find some of those same toys for my kids. A friend recently told me about a catalog that sells all the old classic toys we played with. It was really hard not buying everything I played with for my 2 lil ones. Mo even had a ball shopping for presents this year. He came home with Lincoln Logs, Transformers and Match Box Cars all because he used to play with them.

THANKS MOM & DAD for always staying with the times and buying us the popular toys. Thank you for also buying them for my children.

3 comments:

shontell said...

YES I love all of those, except the turtles who were after my time. Because I have three big brothers, we played with Barbies differently than most kids. I mean, we totally made them hump, but we would chop off their hair, throw red markers at them to make war wounds, and make the war with GI Joes. Scary a little when I think about it. We were the coolest because we had the A Team action figures. BA Baraacas!! YES!! I even had the van. But my favorite play things were my painted on hopscotch on our back patio and our basketball court. We were the poorest kids ever, but everyone wanted to play at our house because of those two things. We already checked in with cement friends to get quotes on putting in our own court and hopscotch. I am really excited!

Jessie said...

yeah! those new TMNTs are gross. I wanted to get them for Riley abd I decided not to because they were not cool like the ones we had as kids.

My favorite toys wer of course Cabbage Patch dolls... my doll was Wilona Kristin, but I renamed her Elizabeth Marie when I adopted her. Oh also pound puppies (WHICH I JUST SAW A COMMERCIAL FOR THE NEW ONES!) and of course My Little Ponies.

Rick is completely thrilled that Riley loves Star Wars as much as he did. And Riley loves that he gets to play with all his daddy's toys now :)

kris and mel said...

i loved my pound puppy when i was a kid. i always wanted a cabbage patch but my parents couldn't afford one, so i missed out on that one. i did enjoy my barbies, too. when adam was way into his TMNT phase, i bought all sorts of original toys for him off of ebay. so if you guys are looking for any, that's a good place to start.