Monday, June 23, 2008

Sun. 6-22-08 York, NE to Peoria, IL

Sunday, June 22, 2008 York, NE to Peoria, IL


Yay, finally a good night’s sleep in the cool hotel room at the Comfort Inn. It took some time getting the kids to sleep but by 11:30 everyone was snoozing. We woke at 7:53am to Raine calling my name again; boy does that lil one love her mama. After a long hot shower and a quick run through the room, we were almost all packed up and ready to hit the FREE continental breakfast. Mo & Reece went ahead to get started and leave me alone to finish packing up the stuff. Raine hung out with me and watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse a favorite of my kiddos. The girls met up with the boys just as they were finishing their scrumptious Belgian waffle; thankfully they had made us one also! It was a tasty treat even with all of the syrup my hubby put on it. Raine enjoyed it too. After breakfast Mo loaded up the truck and we were on our way to the local Starbucks. The barista was so hilarious. She kept getting everything mixed up or wrong and had us cracking right up. We couldn’t figure out if she was a ditz, new or just dumb; either way she seemed to be the happiest barista we ever met. I guess working at Starbucks in the middle of nowhere Nebraska will do that to you.

After a couple hours and the entering of another state, we had to pull over and let lil man pee. Raine was ready to get out and stretch her legs too. We were standing on the side of state route 6 in the county of Pottawattamie, Iowa. It was quite a humorous pee break. Mo decided the kids were doing great so he gave them one of their wrapped presents. Tuesday night before we left I pulled out tons of dollar store toys and wrapped them for the kids. It felt like Christmas Eve. Reece’s gifts were all wrapped in monster truck paper that said SMILE. Raine’s gifts were wrapped I in a boring yellow paper. When we feel like the kids need something new to play with or when they are doing exceptionally well then we give them a present. Reece loves it! He was very excited about the ball he can play with in the swimming pool or on the beach. He thought the Todd Parr book about underwear was hilarious and asked me to read it over and over. I think that will be one he memorizes and reads himself.

A few more hours passed by and I called my dad to let him know our new plan. We are going to skip visiting Buffalo on the way out to the shore and visit all of the friends & family in PA the rest of this week. We have 2 families to see in the Pittsburgh area and about 5 families to visit in the Philadelphia area. If we hang out with all of them this week then we can go visit my friend Andrea and my sister right after the shore. This sounded much more logically to my spouse as well as my dad. He told me he thought we were dumb to be driving north 4 hours to say hi for a day and a half. That we should just stay on I 80 or I 276 through PA. I am so glad my Dad agrees because that will make it easier when I talk to my mother; who always thinks I prefer to stay with the Hauguel’s rather than the Myers/Bumpus family.

It was lunchtime and Mo chose McDonalds again. Thank goodness we ate at Cracker Barrel yesterday. I think Mo wants Reece to get all of those silly Kung Fu Panda toys; at least I hope that’s why he keeps taking us there. We were all in good moods and ready for some greasy grub. The kids share a 6 piece chicken parts Happy Meal. Mo and I share a chicken select meal and he gets an extra fish filet sandwich. $14.00 later we are all fat and happy. Good thing we only eat one meal at a restaurant.

Fruit snacks come in very handy when the kids are getting antsy and need some sugar to calm them down.
Reece was ready to rest and take a break for a while. Note the collection of Kung Fu Panda toys on his lap. He would sleep with his head on the cooler. It was very funny.


YAY a picture of the super mom who would turn around every 5 minutes to serve her children and all of their needs. My husband even pointed that out. He said he was very grateful to all that I do during the drive.


Mo snacking on some pringles. I asked him if he was hungry or bored. He obviously didn't eat enough free breakfast or yummy Mc Donalds.

The kids finally fell asleep after quite a long afternoon. It was about 3:45 before they finally crashed. Raine slept hard but Reece was very uncomfortable. He was very over tired and couldn't fall asleep. He watched the Curious George movie. Raine seems to love that movie and calls George a monk monk. It is very cute. We were making great time today. The wind was at our back and we got great gas mileage. Ever since we left Nevada gas cost less than $4.00. I think the last tank we got was $3.84. Mo said we were getting 18 mpg. He was so glad we didn't bring that canoe across the country. Our drive was going so well, we could have driven a few more hours but wanted to crash before we hit at more expensive Springfield, IL.

We found another Comfort Inn and called it quits for yet another day on the road. We knew better this time and got the pack n play ready right away for Raine. It was too late to take Reece swimming so he took a nice long bath instead, that boy could bath for hours, he seems to think it is his own personal swimming pool. We all made it into bed and were fast asleep by 10:30 pm.


No comments: