Monday, April 24, 2006

Back in Action Part 1

So we are home from Buffalo and functioning back in normal mode again. No more jet leg for this crazy mama. Is there even a thing when your flying 4.5 hours across the country? Anyway, there is something to be said for single moms traveling with small children on airplanes. DON'T DO IT!! Yet, I will be dumb enough to do it again June 21st. Reece and I will once again adventure into the air to return to New York for my sister's wedding. Where will Mo be you ask? Oh, he'll be taking to the friendly highways instead of the friendly skies. Yes, my husband and the diva dog will be fearlessly traveling across routes 70 & 90 and meet up with us in NY.

So once again I fly alone with a 21 month old and his outrageouly heavy car seat. Of which some very nice strangers carried for me since they saw in was in desperate need of another arm. Reece was not cooperating one bit and cried the whole time we weaved through the security area of McCarren Airport. I was that mom that everyone was looking at; like I was torturing my kid or something. Wouldn't you know it was a nice Russian couple who helped me carry the awakward car seat. The two college guys in front me keep turning around staring at me. I would glare at them with daggers until they turned back around. Once I had finally had enough of them being so immature and rude I said, Would you like to take my son and deal with him? I didn't think so. Now would you mind walking straight ahead and stop turning around to glare at me. I was passed my limits.

Once we made it to the gate, our plane was late. OK God, what are you trying to do to me here? I sure was tested on this trip. Reece was adored by all of the old ladies heading back to Buffalo, so he was in his glory flirting with them. I was able to sit back and sigh with relief that he was entertained and I did not have to chase him around the terminal. All this and we hadn't even made it on the plane yet.

Finally, they call us. THANK YOU LORD! I walked down the tarmack to the plane, dragging the carseat and Reece with me. He was so glad he could walk like a big boy. I placed his seat right next to the window and prayed they would have an extra seat available and not make me ride with Reece on my lap. We always fly Southwest, we always board first, and Reece always ends up with a FREE window seat that I didn't pay for because he is under 2 years old. GOD is so good to me. Only once when Mo and I flew home to Philly for Christmas did Reece have to sit on our laps. He was three months old so it really wasn't a big deal. Mo wasn't happy but he got over it.


3.5 hours to Buffalo, NY the pilot tells us and we are backing away from the gate. I breathe a very deep heavy sigh of relief as I now know the flight will be that much more tolerable with Reece in his own car seat and not on my lap. GOD IS SO GOOD!

Reece was an angel for about 2.5 hours. It wasn't until the last hour where he really became restless and wanted to get down out of his seat. He kept asking down mama, down peeaaasseee. I felt so bad. I had to say no because I knew if I let him down he would be worse when it was time to go back in. So he toughed it out and finally fell asleep the last half hour of the flight. Did I mention it was now midnight? We landed in NY and mom was 15 minutes late to get us. Reece was wide awake again running all over the tiny Buffalo airport in search of Grammy. He wasn't very happy about having to return to that car seat of his, but he toughed it out. We made it to my mom's house around 1:30 in the morning. All in all a successful trip across the country. I couldn't have done with out the help of those two nice men who carried that 100 pound car seat for me. Thank You Lord for my airport angels :) to be continued...

2 comments:

Esther said...

I am officially the worst friend for not hooking up with you while you were home. I thought I had another week, then that flew by too! I'm glad you made it through the traveling with your sweet boy.

Jessie said...

did you fix your comments yet??? sheesh