Thursday, January 26, 2012

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE

You want to know what I make?
I make kids wonder,

I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write, write, write.
And then I make them read.
I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful
over and over and over again until they will never misspell either one of those words again.
I make them show all their work in math.
And hide it on their final drafts in English.
I make them understand that if you got this (brains) then you follow this (heart) and if someone ever tries to judge youby what you make, you give them this (the finger).
Let me break it down for you, so you know what I say is true:

I make a goddamn difference!
What about you?

~Taylor Mali

January has been a very hectic month at school and I have been feeling rather discouraged. I was making a present for Raine's student teacher when I remembered this poem by Taylor Mali, a high school teacher and slam poet. It was just what I needed to read and hear again. While teaching on Wednesday and Thursday, I felt like I got my groove back. I reminded myself that my job is not to have the students like me, but to help them appreciate the joy of knowledge and let them know that they are capable of reaching the stars. It also helps when a co-worker tells you how much her daughters still call me their most favorite teacher even after having several others since me. Thanks Lord for reminding me that I DO make a difference in children's lives.

No comments: